Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spotlight on Dolores Gray

Today I'm trying something a little different on the blog. Instead of a film I'll be featuring a performer. I created this short bio of Dolores Gray for last nights screening of The Opposite Sex. She's a remarkable personality and deserves to be better known.

I wouldn't have been able to put this video together without footage and images from the following sources. On YouTube: BestArtsFilms, NealeUK, vaimusic, toldes, LittleMissLounge, JEJE9339. Elsewhere: Annie Wilson at Poetic & Chic, Lypsinka, FanPix.net, Paul Chesne and numerous other sources. The piece is narrated by Brini Maxwell.

For more information on Dolores I suggest reading her obit from The Independent. It's by far the most complete account of her life available on the web.

9 comments:

  1. What a terrific overview! I knew the name (and that she was a major influence on Lypsinka), but now I can discuss Ms. Gray with some intelligence. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had a great time putting it together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goregous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this a lot. I hope there will be more in this series: Dolores Gray is well-known, yet obscure too. This is a captivating choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it! It took a while to assemble, so I'm not sure how frequently I'll be doing them, but I do plan on making a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always remember her as Lalume in "Kismet." The way she belts out the "Not Since Ninevah" number is amazing. But her "Thanks A Lot But No Thanks" number in "It's Always Fair Weather" is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Ben.....Such a great tribute. I'm late to comment as ususal. Anyway. I first saw Dolores in "It's Always Fair Weather" when I was channel surfing one night. I had never heard of her or the movie. When I saw the "Thanks a Lot" routine it was impossible to forget her. That sexy femme fatale themed number was so far ahead of it's time. There is certainly is a great many people who don't know
    who Dolores Gray is, but those that do are often very loyal and dedicated fans.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  9. She had such a gorgeous singing voice, and was at home belting, singing romantically and intimately, and everything in-between. It is a shame that she never had a breakout Broadway role (although she played the lead in "Annie Get Your Gun" in the first London production) - a Dolly, a Mame, etc. It is also a shame that she was not better-recorded. I believe the only non-show album she ever recorded was "Warm Brandy," which is a must-have. She recorded a lot of singles in the early-1950s for Decca, many of which were compiled a few years ago on a CD released by Sepia Records. The songs she recorded as singles feature all types of songs and styles, and vary in quality as far as songwriting. I highly recommend this CD also. Hopefully the remaining Decca singles will be released on a CD in the future.

    ReplyDelete