Monday, October 3, 2011

Sally Field in The Girl with Something Extra (1973)

In this spooky Sally Field sit-com vehicle we meet Sally (Field) and John Burton (John Davidson), a newly married American couple, normal, except for one small quirk - Sally has ESP. She knows what her husband - and everyone else, for that matter - is thinking... all the time. This, of course causes all sorts of problems and were it not for Field's quirky presence, the show would have been a total loss. As it stands, it's cute in a novel sort of way.

There's never been a DVD release of this one-season show and it's practically forgotten. The only online video I could find of it was this multi-series promo for an episode. It's cued to feature the show and was uploaded to YouTube by skipeastport.

Obscurity factor: 10 (almost totally forgotten, extremely hard to find, not on DVD)

7 comments:

  1. I watched this regularly during its short run. However, I don't remember much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember liking this show. But in retrospect, it strikes me as odd that there were so many ladies with ESP and / or assorted magical powers on TV and films during this period: Bewitched, I Dream of Jennie, On a Clear Day, The Girl with Something Extra -- and I bet there are several more I've forgotten about. The Age of Aquarius obviously set off a lot of ESP-type vibes. Or maybe social conditions and assassinations were so awful that we needed to think beyond the everyday world. Or maybe it was an odd reaction to the feminist movement? Obviously, there's a long essay to be written ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. plsss do a dvd serie of a girl whith something more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm watching the series on GET TV, gotta love these obscure old shows, especially the ones from the late 60's and the 70's spooky factors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I had no idea it was on. I've DVRd it...

      Delete
  5. I've seen this on GetTv and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching it there too. I enjoy it as well. I'm planning on expanding this post to include my impressions of it...

      Delete