Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Herschel Bernardi in Arnie (1970)

When Arnie (Bernardi) is promoted from the loading dock to the boardroom, he must deal with a whole new set of social conventions. As he figures out how to deal with the ins and outs of being an executive his family have adjustments to make as well.

This series was on for two seasons and dealt with more than just interpersonal relations. The larger issues of ecology, woman's lib and the youth movement all made appearances. This series has never made it to DVD, though several episodes are available on YouTube. Part one of "Trouble in the Air" is above, uploaded to YouTube by dentelTV1.

Obscurity factor: 9 (not on DVD, largely forgotten, on YouTube in part)

7 comments:

  1. Wow ... that's almost like a an acid flashback.

    I remember watching this show every week. What's odd to me now is the use of the org chart as a graphic element during the titles. I had no idea what that meant back then, but I remember thinking they looked cool.

    And I remember Sue Ane Langdon as being someone I found fascinating. (My taste level has matured since then).

    ReplyDelete
  2. His voice sounds familiar. Like he must have done commercials years ago :)

    Show looks good. Hopefully they will put it out on DVD in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He worked a lot in television back then. I'm sure you've seen him in other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - great opening titles. The laugh track is bizarre, though - non-existent for a few minutes, then WHAM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was the voice of Charlie the Tuna.

    I loved this show when it was first on. I hadn't seen it since then until I found it on YouTube a couple years ago. As far as I know it never went into syndication after it was canceled.

    I also really liked Elaine Shore, the actress who played Felicia, his secretary. She died in 2007. I think she had a decent career in theater, but only has six other credits listed on IMDB. The last one was an appearance on "Kojak" in 1977. I recall reading an interview with her back when "Arnie" was on. She talked about how the role of Felicia was not written with a heavy actress in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herschel Bernardi was the voice of Charlie the Tuna

    ReplyDelete